Due to COVID 19 restrictions, only events that are required for the running of the club or can adhere to social distancing have been scheduled. For planning purposes, an additional schedule can be found in the Members Only section showing potential events if restrictions ease during the season.
Hello Fellow Boaters
The poster is finally out for the Yacht Club Supervisor positions. Please forward the link below to the people you think may be interested.
Posted May 5/21
Read the below very carefully! Failure to meet a timing or follow a procedure may result in your boat being left on the hard with your being responsible to paying full dockage fees and/or removal of the boat from the base.
Here is our plan so far.
· Dates 9th of May and 30th of May(timings TBD)
· Boats will be lifted in during a specific time slot only the crane crew and owner of the boat can be present during the lift-in.
· Your boat MUST be prepared and ready for lift-in before your lift-in date. NO WORK will be allowed on your boat on lift-in dates.
· During lift-in no one is to come to the club before their designated times. Everyone will be given a lift-in time you are to be on the base 30 mins before to report to the Lift-in coordinator at the causeway and make your lift-in payment. You will then be directed to either your boat or to the waiting area.
· If there are any delays the waiting area will be the Bakers Island Community Centre parking lot in your vehicle socially distancing.
· The lift crews will be hand-picked by Dennis Dove and will provide work times and directions.
· Once the boat is in the water the owner will drive it to their dock, make sure it is secure and then leave the base. No other work is to be done on the boats.
· Due to the close quarters of raising a sailboat mast, no mast no matter the size can be raised during the lockdown.
· Owners may on their own, work on preparing their mast, observing COVID protocols, which include not working with members outside of your immediate household.
· Once the lockdown is over we will conduct mast raising operations similar to the lift-in operations with designated times and teams. No one will be permitted to raise their mast outside of these teams and schedule NO MATTER THE SIZE of the mast.
· For the removal of the cradle, Dennis has arranged for a forklift to help again this year to minimize the size of the work party. He will provide direction in another email.
Reposted May 4/21
Good Day Follow Boaters.
As we all know the new provincial restriction has put limitations on our boating season once again this year.
These new restrictions allow marinas to “Place boats or other watercraft in the water to be secured to a dock until the marina is open to the public”; however, “the person who operates the marina shall not permit it to be used for recreational boating purposes.”
In addition, with the extended lockdown and increase in COVID-19 cases, base access continues to be restricted for essential requirements. Access for non-military personnel/DND civilians is restricted. This would leave too few to do safety and security checks, look after and take responsibility for up to 30 plus boats in the water, which is a requirement from most insurance policies.
Our Harbourmaster Bruce, has secured two new lift-in dates for us on the 30 May and 12 Jun.
Therefore I am cancelling the first lift-in on the 24th of April. As we get closer to the lift-in on the 9 May, and if the COVID numbers are dropping the Base is willing to reengage with a plan to lift-in on the 9th of May. This plan will include a scheduled access list that will allow boat owners to do their own safety and security checks on their boats on specific dates and specific times. If all works out we will see all the boats in the water before June.
If May 9th does not work out the second lift will be on the 12 of June. The lift sign up list will remain the same if you signed up for the first lift in your name will remain on the first lift and all others will be on the second.
· First lift-in on the 24th is cancelled.
· Lift on the 9 May is on hold.
· Two new lift-in dates has been secured 30 May and 12 Jun.
· Effective immediately, access to the club is closed to non-military personnel/DND and civilians. Access for essential requirements must be approved through the Commodore.
· Club leadership will arrange safety and security checks on the club during lockdown.
Posted Apr 20/21
Doug Thur has taken over the responsibilities of Email Co-ordinator for the club and has been sending out emails over the past week using the account firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have not been receiving these emails, please check your junk mail for messages from that account. They might also appear as being from thursday1111 as they do in my inbox.
Thanks you Doug for taking on this role.
Posted Apr 19/21